Tuesday, December 6, 2011

FELA KUTI AND LINDSAY DONALD


Photographs I took in 1977 of the Nigerian multi-instrumentalist musician, composer and pioneer of Afrobeat, the late, great, Mr Fela Anikulapo Kuti, were destroyed when soldiers raided his house in Lagos, Nigeria, where I was also staying, and burnt it to the ground
Amongst those images were also images of Mr. Stevie Wonder performing with Fela at his club, The African Shrine.
After the incident at Fela's home I was incarcerated for five months on the grounds of being a CIA spy.
I was blessed once again, when in 1995, Fela came to London to give a lecture.
After a good laugh about the old days, I was to photograph him some two years before he died.
Those photographs are embargoed and will adorn the book, PORTRAIT OF A LEGEND AND OTHER FOLKS, due to be published in August, 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment