Thursday, January 3, 2013

Portrait, boy and drum.

Portrait, boy and drum. Kingston, Jamaica, 1979. © Lindsay Oliver Donald. 2013.




ITALIST CHANT – ROHAN PRESTON

I can see buckra a come
Lock-step to start a fray
Coming with them chains and munitions
But I don’t feel no way

Nesta Marley, Mosiah Garvey
A flow inna me vein
Malcolm X-mas, Luther Kingdom
Mash them down again

I can hear the missiles a hum
But Jah Jah a the conqueror
At Palmares, Addis Ababa
Duppyman conqueror

Harriet Tubman, King Shaka
Show Jah love for true
Sister Nanny, and Kenyatta

Pass their grace on to you

The one Hannibal, Nefertiti
All a them refuse to fall
Queen Mother and Mandibi
All of them are part a me

I can see the armies rolling
But Natty a the conqueror
For our fathers, foremothers
None of them a bangarang

I can hear the mountains calling
Jah Lion a the conqueror
Love you, Papa, love you, Mama
O, Zion a the conqueror

Final conka-conka-kang
Conka-conka-kang
Conka-conka-kang
Conka-conka-kang
Conqueror


No comments:

Post a Comment